Thursday, March 29, 2012

Easter Break!

Today was my last day of class for two weeks. The semester technically starts on the first of April but since it is Easter everyone gets two weeks off. This means that the University doesn't actually start until the 16th. My schedule may change a bit but I am hoping it doesn't change a whole lot. If anything I am hoping that I get to sleep in maybe an hour longer each morning. But now I just have a little bit of "Hausaufgaben" (homework) to do and then I will have two weeks free and they are going to be a fun two weeks! It will be full of stuff like last weekend was!
FC Saarbrücken

Last weekend I went with Jan and some other guys to see FC Saarbrücken play. I didn't know we had a soccer arena in Saarbrücken, if anything I was expecting it to be a super big building that you could see from far away but it wasn't. The arena looked as if it was built into a hill. It was pretty cool. You could definitely tell that it was an old stadium. I also thought that, like any stadium, you would go and have a seat or a bench. Here most of the spots were standing!

After the soccer game I walked to downtown which was only about ten or so minutes away. I met up with Heather and we got a bite to eat. After we were done we walked around a little bit and waited for my friend Julia to meet us. Julia had traveled to Saarbrücken for the day just to shop. She came with a friend who left as soon as we showed up. We didn't quite have a plan of action so we just walked around and show her some of the sites of Saarbrücken. Not being native saarlanders we only went to the places we knew like the Theater and the Schloß (castle). After a couple hours of catching up and wandering around we said good-bye to Julia. Next weekend I will be visiting her and then she can show me around her town!


Julia and I
After we said good-bye to Julia, Heather and I made our way from the Hauptbahnhof, the main train station or Hbf for short. We walked to the next tram stop which can take almost as long to walk as to ride on the tram. From there we went to a movie theater right next to the station. We were meeting Ben and Iris and we were going to watch "Tribute von Panem" which in America it is called "The Hunger Games". I read all of the books within the first two weeks of being  here in Germany so I wanted to see it. When we went to our theater there was a note that said there will be an intermission. They do intermissions when the movies are "long", which it was only two hours or so which I didn't think was bad. That was before I knew they have about a half an hour or more of commercials before the movie and of course they stopped it right when you didn't want them too.

Croissant I tried today...mmmmm
Yesterday, Wednesday, I tried a bakery that was recommended to me by a girl in my class. I went there and the pastries were super amazing. It cost one euro to buy this super yummy croissant thing with chocolate and powder sugar. Iris tells me that that is really expensive but I thought it was a good price. I think in America it would be two or three times that. Today I went back to buy another one but they didn't have those today so I tried some of the other things....which may have been a bad idea because now I want them as well!

My Easter break is super busy already and has been for quite some time! Heather and I will travel to Trier next weekend to meet Julia again and some of my other friends that I have in Europe. We will stay the night there and then come back in the morning. Then once we get back I will go with Jan to a soccer game in Gladbach. I think it will fun! Gladbach is playing against Berlin.

Staatstheater (State theater)
The next week after that  all of us: Ben, Iris, Heather and I will go to München (Munich) for three days. We are going to spend one day just exploring the city, taking pictures and such, and then the next day we will go to a place called Therme Erding which is an indoor water park that is only about a half an hour away. Then our last day we will go to a castle called Neuschwanstein, which is where I want to go the most. We might pop into Austria for a second too since it will be only about a half an hour away, but that isn't set in stone yet.

I also found out this week that I will probably have to get a new car when I get home. My car is not doing so the mechanic suggested that I trade it in and get a new one ASAP. So I have spent about three hours already this week just looking at what kind of a car I want next....with my imaginary budget. ;) Hopefully it will all turn out okay when I get back.

Sorry it took so long to post again, making this one so long. I also upgraded my blogger tools, I guess that is what you would call them, so I am not sure if this is going to look different or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment