Saturday, March 31, 2012

Bunkers



So today Heather, Ben and I went to the woods to look at old WWII bunkers. Saarbrücken is right by the boarder of France so it is full of history from WWII.  It was cool to see the history and to be able to walk around in the bunkers. You could see the bullet holes and the damage from grenades or mortars. Just now thinking back on it, it is crazy to think that people probably died there. But I am glad that the bunkers are still standing, even if they are somewhat destroyed.


We started out on a path that was just right by where we go grocery shopping. We were walking on a road/path and in no time we came to our first bunker. If we wouldn't have been looking for them, I don't think I would have spotted them. We had to leave the path to get to them but they were only about twenty yards off of the path. It wasn't that far off the path but it was well hidden, I thought anyways. 

Heather and Ben inside the Bunker
It was crazy to see how they were built. It was a very simple design, one maybe two rooms at the most. The walls were thick, I would probably guess about three to four feet thick and were reinforced with rebar. Also there was still some barbwire around one of the ones we went to so we had to be careful. On the outside there was this wavy texture. Ben told us that it was to help create shadows to help it blend in with the forest. Which even destroyed I thought it was well hidden. Of course nature probably helped out a lot with that. One thing I did think of was that during the German winters it probably got very cold in the bunkers. 

The bunkers were amazing and fun to go exploring through. I am excited for more of the adventures I will have. This is the beginning of my two week break of school. We have lots of things planned for these two weeks so make sure you keep checking because I will probably be taking a ton of pictures.

P.S. Sorry about the craziness of the layout of the photos. Blogger is not cooperating with me today.

The bullet holes and mortar/explosion damage

Hole to shoot out of 


Another shooting hole
Texture of the outside of the bunkers
Destroyed bunker

No comments:

Post a Comment